Sunday, December 30, 2007

Weekend Update

A few meager accomplishments this week. But it was Christmas, so that counts, right?

Quilting: When I posted a few days ago about next year's Christmas gifts, Zazzu (who are you?!) asked what a Lady of the Lake quilt was. Sorry, it has nothing to do with Spamalot, though I'll bet that would be great. Lady of the Lake is a traditional quilt block made up of half square triangles. Why's it called Lady of the Lake? dunno. I became enamored of this block a long time ago when I read Alias Grace. The main character pieces quilts as the story progresses, and if I recall, the chapters titles are quilt block names. But I could be wrong about that. Anyway, Lady of the Lake comes up in the book, I like the way the block can look, so 10 years later, I'm making one.

I've got all the pieces cut for the 480 2" HSTs and the 30 6" ones. I've even started piecing the components. In my typical chunk assembly style, I'll make all the bigger HSTs, and assemble the smaller ones into 3 and 5 square strips. Then I'll toss 'em in the air and sew 'em where they land. Or something like that. Here's the parts to make the first 4 blocks. They will be set on point, as shown. I think.

Knitting: Knits and Bolts had a pre-inventory sale yesterday. I could have done much more damage, but came out with yarn to make this sweater for Tori. The colours were her choice - charcoal for the body, raspberry for the trim. It's not my favourite yarn, but until she can show me that she'll treat the things I make her with a little more respect than she shows her clothes now, I'm not going to drop $60 or more on Alpaca or even merino for a sweater that will live under her bed.

And finally

Cooking: This week was Christmas, and our holiday meal tradition continued. Simon, fan of all things XBox requested a Portal Cake. I've made this cake before, to celebrate his and Scott's success at reaching the end of the Orange Box game and getting a virtual Portal Cake. Yeah, it was a mix, with open-the-tub frosting, but ain't it cute? And I got to take the race car out for another spin. ;o)

7 comments:

dee said...

Oh my, I'm having trouble focussing on anything but the cake, but I have three questions
1-Why are you so talented? Canadian water????
2-Just who is this Zazzu???
3-why don't any of my friends have fabulous far-out names?
Happy New Year to you both-thanks for all the fun.

dee said...

that would be focusing-the when I re-wrote it I used the u in an unfortuante place and now I can't stop laughing...sorry

Dorothy said...

I don't know who Zazzu is, but isn't that just the coolest mysterioso name ever? I suspect I know her (him?) from somewhere else, but (s)he shows up here with the nicest comments. I don't really mind. :o)

And the talent? pshaw. I just cannot seem to convince myself that there's anything I can't do. I sometimes wish I couldn't you know, plow snow or take out the trash, but eh, in the grand scheme, it's all good.

Zazzu said...

BAHAHAHAHAHA!!

I wandered in here from a quilting board - I think it was Delphi or About.com - a while ago. I haven't been to either of those boards in a loooong time, though. I prefer blogs to forums these days.

So, no, I don't know Dorothy in "real life". Sometimes I just follow blog links and they stick. Most don't, but Dorothy's blog is special.

Thanks for the scoop about the Lady of the Lake quilt - those blocks are lovely. Love, LOVE the red and white.

Mmmmmmm....cake.

QuiltingFitzy said...

The cake looks yummy-yummy!

I totally agree about the cost of yarn for a teenager's project. I did the same in making this first sweater for myself. I spent $35 on wool from Michaels rather than $100 from the yarn shop. If do well enough, the good yarn will always be there.

You're more talented than you'll ever know ma'am.

I wish you a heatlhy and happy New Year for you and your family.

Jeri said...

1 - love the LOL quilt. I've had long-term plans to make one of these in beiges/ecru and blues... may have to go cut fabric now!
2 - cute sweater, you're a good mom to make that for Tori!
3 - I thought cake mix and canned frosting WAS "real" cake... its not?

Anonymous said...

The cake looks great, but since I have to make deserts for people who are not allowed chocolate (caffeine) I have gone to an apple crisp that is loved by all.

Loved the quilt, Thangles would make that an easy project, as if I don't have enough going on.

I can knit or crochet an afghan or wash cloth, but not a sweater. You are really talented, and very nice to make something for a teenager who may not appreciate the difference a quality yarn would make.

Love the blog.