Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Could this be... enough?

This is *I think* 168 blocks. Enough for a 14 by 12 block layout. 96 of the blocks are already assembled into 4 block chunks. I'll keep on with that, starting tomorrow maybe. The Divide and Conquering I plan for this will require that I assemble 4x5 or 5x5 block chunks - easily manageable. I might even baste the chunks together to test drive the size on the bed.

I have scraps enough to make this twice the size, I'll bet, certainly stash enough to make a dozen. I *might* have to cut some red strips for centers if I need to make this bigger, but that's a BIG if. I think I'm golden.

I have a few (9) too small blocks that I've already thrown together. I think I'll make 7 more and make a nice sized wallhanging for the mudroom. Foyer. Whatever. It'll give me an opportunity to ponder the quilting. How does one quilt a string quilt, anyway? I was thinking once around the red diamond, once around the green center. Ponder ponder.

3 comments:

Teri said...

I love it! I have done a couple of blocks for a string quilt, but they are only 6" I can't imagine EVER making a quilt as big as yours1 I'm looking forward to seeing it together!

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't you want to do some kind of circular/round quilting on a quilt with straight lines like that? Or is that old skool?

Kay said...

This will be wonderful when it's done! I would think some sort of all over swirly quilting would blend and tie everything together nicely.