Saturday, August 26, 2006

Okay, it's tomorrow


This is Duncan's quilt, pinned to a beam in the family room with pushpins and curtain rings. All my helpers are still asleep. The quilting and binding are done!

I've spent the last few days' 60 minutes of quilting curled up under this getting the binding done. And now it is.

I still like this quilt WAY better in pictures than up close, but oh well. Life goes on, yes? And this quilt is for a kid who probably wants a quilt as much as he wants to shave his armpits. Ya know? Well, that's too bad, and I have my suspicions that there will come a point in his life when this quilt will be just the right thing - whether crumpled on the back seat of his car or over a sleeping bag or crashing at a friend's, if he's anything like his father, he'll be a little boy pretending to be all grown up long before he is. And a warm quilt might be just the right thing. Of all the quilts I've made, I suspect this one will have best adventures. ;o)

The next Christmas quilt in line is for Ducan's dad's wife's son. Don't ask. He's kinda/sorta my step-nephew I guess? Whatever, I know less about this kid than I do about his 2 older sisters and I managed to pull together quilts for them, so I think I can manage his too. Mom, ever the font of helpfulness, says of Bevin "Oh, I don't know. He's tall and gets along better with Ed (my brother) than Duncan ever did. He seems like a nice boy, but I know nothing about him." Okey-dokey, mom. Thanks again.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful,at some point in his life it'll be his soft place to land on.

Teri said...

Dorthy, it is an AWESOME quilt. I love the shadow blocks. Your son will grow to appreciate it.. or not. I still have my son's quilt folded up in my cedar chest after finding it crumpled on his floor.. He will get a nice warm flannel quilt for snuggling under this winter.

Dorothy said...

Not my son, my nephew. It'll be his to do with as he pleases. He's so much like his dad, my older brother, but neither of them wants to admit it. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see that quilt (and Duncan) pulling into my driveway with absolutely no notice (he lives 800 miles away) nor would I be especially surprised to see it entered into evidence. KWIM?

Anonymous said...

I think that quilt is GREAT! Perfect for a boy/man! And I chuckled about being submitted into evidence.
I am still so envious of you getting these quilts done and out the door. Still hate you/love you for that.

Anonymous said...

I love the quilt! The "shadows" and colors are just great. I know it will be much loved - and you are right, maybe not that much now but in time it will be.
fabricluver (Susan)

Debra Dixon said...

A very cool design! Gosh, you could do use kinds of interesting fabrics with this design and they would all be different.

My son was rather nonchalant about my quilts and then one day I overheard him giving his friends a tour of the house and bragging about his mom's quilts. So, even though your nephew is a guy & too cool to have a quilt, the message is probably sinking into his thick skull sometime!

Rian said...

He will love the quilt, even if he doesn't gush over it the way we would. And in many years from now he will treasure it beyond belief because all his friends will have told him how unique and very cool it is.