Monday, September 25, 2006

Cleaning (out of the) house

I spent this weekend getting stuff out of my life.

Started Friday with Karen's treadle, then came home to discover the tree guys had come and cut down 5 big trees in the yard. That was a good thing - they were ugly and/or dying and we were tired of picking up dropped limbs and raking pine needles every time the wind picked up. Just before supper, we loaded up the neighbour's truck with donations for the H.S. music department's Saturday yard sale. They've been invited to perform at EPCOT, and shoot, if my 3 bikes, stroller, sandbox, sled, and ride-on can help them get there, then sure thing!

Today, the tree guy came back and ground out 7 stumps (the 5 trees from Friday, plus two older ones) and left free mulch all over the yard. So I raked, and I wheelbarrowed (is that a word?!) and I cleaned up that mess and mulched my flower bed at the same time, then 9 barrows-ful later, had all 7 holes plus the dents in the lawn refilled. We'll reseed on the weekend and hope we have enough fall left to get the grass to grow back.

I'm wiped. Have I sewn a stitch since I finished that little string quilt? Nope. Have I knitted? Nope. Cleaned? Nope. Do I care? Nope. I'd spend a thousand days on yardwork if it meant I didn't have to clean the bathroom again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like your new photo!!

Jane Ann said...

If "gifted" can be a verb, surely "wheelbarrowed" can be too! Whew. I'm tired just reading about it. Deep cleaning is good for the soul, and I bet the extra sunshine from the downed trees won't be minded at all as winter comes on.

Anonymous said...

Well done and the sunshine is good for the soul! As long as we are able to do these things and enjoy them, then it's "a good thing".

Lost a quilting friend last nite and finding out once again life is preciously short.

Dorothy said...

Oh Karen, I'm sorry.