Thursday, October 05, 2006

A thoughtful (meaning full of thought) response

In this afternoon's Morning Ramble, Patty spoke of the horror in Nickle Mines, PA and closed by saying "without faith, there is bitterness, I suspect"

If what you mean, Patty, is religious faith, I must disagree. I would never, ever criticize where a person chooses to place his belief, faith is a personal choice and not one for anyone else to intrude upon. But here's my story - I was brought up in religion. My family was Christian (Dutch) Reformed, and later my mother joined the Baptist Church. I understand religion, I know the history of the Christian religion, and to a lesser extent that of Judaism, Hinduism, Islam, and Druidism. I've read Greek, Norse, Egyptian and Native American mythology. Do I know everything? Of course not. But my own understanding, the belief I have come to within myself is in two parts.

First, I believe that all the deist religions of the world worship the same being - there is one God, but his name isn't Allah. Or Jaweh. Or Jesus, or Gitchimanitou, or Jehovah. It's all of them. They are all the same God, worshipped in different traditions by people of different cultures who felt they needed something, someONE to believe in. Someone upon whom they could hang their frailties and build their strength. Someone to whom they could offer thanks, assign blame, question the unquestionable.

And second, I believe that I can find that strength, that blame, those frailties and answers within myself. I am sure my mother's heart would break to read this, but I truly believe this trip is it. There is no Valhalla, no heaven, no hell. This ride is over when the car stops. No God, no angels, no devil except those that we have created within ourselves. We alone are responsible for who and what we are. No one can make me be or behave other than I wish without my permission, and there is no supernatural power guiding me, or throwing up obstacles to test my faith.

I intended to reply to your post within your blog, but didn't want to jam up your comment section with my own ramblings. Thanks for the opportunity to ramble a little myself. :o)

6 comments:

QuiltingFitzy said...

Dorothy, what a great tribute to yourself. Thank you for putting into words sentiments I feel but always have been unable to express. I consider myself VERY SPIRITUAL, true to myself and all others. REALIST is another word I use to describe myself. Yes, I was brought up in the church but have drifted away because I just wasn't interested in the pomp and circumstance and listening to others tell me how they thought I should act according to The Word. I do OK just as I am, and yup, I'll stop when the car does too. I am thrilled others may have something they believe in, as long as they don't try to push it on me. Guess I'd better at STUBBORN to that list too, lol.

Dianne said...

Amen, sister. Your thoughtful (in EVERY sense of the word) post is cogent, sensible, and in my opinion, right on.

Jane Ann said...

Oh, darlin', you've opened a can of worms, I fear. But I'll stick my neck out and say "amen"--if that isn't being too ironic (or irreverant). It IS a thoughtful post.

Rian said...

Well said.

Jules said...

I couldn't agree more.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Very well said - wish I had said it myself - and it does reflect my feelings almost exactly. For one thing - I believe we go around more than once - and I respect those that believe we do and those that believe we don't - afterall, we are talking of "beliefs" not facts.

I too grew up in the church - and I think that the lessons and scriptures I learned as a child have helped me to understand myself and organized religion much better - I think any knowledge we have gives us a better perspective on life and helps us to be formed into what we are supposed to be. I have studied many belief systems and have formed my very own spirituality - a good thing for me.

You are my hero - you speak things I would be somewhat afraid to speak - and you speak them so well.

Thank you - you give me strength to be more of myself.