Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Like it's *really* any of their business.

****warning**** political (sorta) post

Mary Cheney, daughter of VP Dick Cheney has announced that she and her partner will be parents in a few months. Mary's pregnant. The happy couple live in Virginia, which means that Heather Poe, Mary's longtime partner will not be afforded any legal parental rights over this child. How sad.

"Just because you can conceive a child outside a one-woman, one-man marriage doesn't mean it's a good idea," (Focus on the Family's Carrie Gordon) Earll said. "Love can't replace a mother and a father." WHAT?!

That some people believe that simply by virtue of a diversity of reproductive plumbing, any heterosexual couple provides a better family than a loving homosexual one is even sadder.

I've heard people say that homosexual marriage (civil union, spousal rights) is a threat to heterosexual marriage. Really? How so? How so MORE than (heterosexual) adultery? In Virginia, sleeping with your best friend's wife isn't illegal. Hanging out at strip clubs isn't illegal. Passing yourself off as single and trolling adult chatrooms isn't illegal. But legally, in Virginia, Heather Poe, who has been in a loving relationship with Mary Cheney for 15 years isn't allowed to be baby Cheney's parent. How very, very sad for everyone involved.

Hypocrites.

7 comments:

Jane Ann said...

In a world where love is hardly in over-supply, I just don't get where some folks get off defining what love is--or should be--for other consenting folks!

Good heavens, as my 81-y-o mum says, "I've got young grandchildren and now great-grandchildren. Who knows what sexual preferences they will have?! How could I possibly set myself up as hating something in someone I love very much?"

Don't people ever think, "Hmm. My brother might be 'that way.' Do I have to stop loving him?"

Sorry. Off the soapbox now.

Anonymous said...

A-MEN!!! Ditto every thing you just said.

I think Mary and Heather will be a lot better parents than that one who just microwaved her baby, or any of the crack mamas who conceived their babies with their pimps or boyfriends. Yeah, those are from "hetero" relationships so those kids have better parents?? Give me a friggin' break.

OK - its someone else's turn to get on the soapbox. I'm thru!

dee said...

stepping up on the formerly abandoned soapbox-There are a number of families at my food pantry who are headed by mothers who have been abandoned by there husbands( and in some cases families) because the children have Autism or other serious mental and physical illnesses. When I don't feel like going in to work sometimes...I remember those women and quit my bitchin' right away. Amen to you ladies...

Rian said...

What consenting adults do under the covers in their bedrooms is nobody's business.

If two people have love in their hearts and want to share that love with a child, what difference should it make what their sexual proclivities are.

I have several lesbians in my family tree and their "biological clocks" tick just the same as anyone else's.

I feel the same about gay marriage. Who cares--let two people in love get married for cryin out loud.

I think we have too many news stations and magazines. This ain't news.

Anonymous said...

agreed!

Vicky aka Stichr said...

here here! I wonder what the stats are for divorce in Partner marriages??

During an episode of Greys Anatomy, the 2 dads are standing by the bed of their son. One dad got a bit hysterical and my DD said "just like you mom". Loving parents are loving parents.

Jules said...

I agree with everything you posted. Love is the bottom line here!