Sunday, March 11, 2007

Progressing, ow! slowly

I have half the bra quilt basted. Quilting? Ha! Those boobs refuse to lie flat (why did I expect they would?!) and so basting has become a grunt- and tug-fest. Each block is squared and basted as I go, to keep everything true and plumb - it looks like everyone's wearing minimizer bras! Since it's Sunday, the quilt shop is closed, I'm 40 minutes from Joann's, and I have not nearly enough safety pins. So I'm thread basting this with some help from 505 spray. I taped the backing to the kitchen floor, spray basted the batt to it, then sprayed the top of the batting very lightly. The top got centered onto that, so a typical layering so far.

Now to deal with all those boobs.
Top row first -
•Get the top border/sashing straight, pin.
•Straighten and pin the left border.
•Now with the 12" square squish, tug, jam and pin that puppy into a perfect square. The spray keeps everything from sliding but it's still easily moveable.
•Straighten and pin the next-door sashing.
•Block #2 gets the same routine, then sashing, then block #3 followed by the right border.
•Straighten and square the horizonatal sashing under row 1, pin into place.
•Run out of pins. Curse.
•Thread baste the top row, one block at a time. Baste the cornerstones of the horizontal sashing.
•Remove safety pins from blocks and vertical sashing ONLY of row #1
•Repeat the border, block, sashing, block, sashing, block, border, vertical sashing stretch/square routine for the second row. Thread baste blocks and cornerstones, removing pins from the first horizontal sashing, vertical sashing, and blocks.

Lather, rinse, repeat. Or, decide that the kitchen floor tile is WAY too hard and cold a place to more than 2 hours of this sunny day, peel up the tape, and put it away until later. Hopefully not a LOT later. Tomorrow would be good, I'll share pics of all these lovelies with their Frankenstein stitching. Besides, my fingertips hurt.

4 comments:

Vicky aka Stichr said...

drape the boob beast over a card table with a cutting board under it....after you wash the carrot bits off...*smirk*....a rotary cutting board of course. Thats how I usually baste my quilts.

Dorothy said...

Draping doesn't work. These girls need Playtex 18 hour basting. ;o) We're getting there.

Anonymous said...

that's strange.... mine lay pretty flat when horizontal... in my armpits!!!

Dorothy said...

A-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! I know exactly what you mean.