Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Coming up for air

It has been a busy few weeks, sheesh! Yesterday I planned nothing, and for the most part, that's exactly what I did. It was a nice chance to recharge.

Since I didn't do this Sunday, I'll do it now.

Last week

Needlework
hmmm?

Other
deliver ACS Daffodils
Tuesday - sub 1/2 day in library
Wednesday - Daniel's Birthday!
Thursday - Costco trip
Saturday a.m. Tori Girl Scout Cookie Store
Saturday - Talent Show/Silent Auction
Sunday - Tori's Birthday!


I got everything done this week that needed to be done, and then some. When I dropped Daniel off at school Monday morning, I stopped in to say hi to the kitchen ladies, and ended up working as one of them had gone home with a sick stomach. I ended up working every day last week as it turned out, for various reasons. The paycheck will be nice, but sheesh, I had stuff that HAD to be done! The American Cancer Society Daffodil Days is over again for another year. I usually have more fun with the deliveries, but I was busy, and sales were down so it ended up being more of a drop off - collect the money thing than the cheery "look I'm bringing you FLOWERS!!" event I usually try to do. Oh well. In the end we raised some money for a good cause, and that's the main thing.

And speaking of good causes, the talent show - silent auction Saturday evening was a blast! Some income/expenses are still being worked up, but our profit was just a scootch under $2500. For a small town in a rural state and a depressed economy, I'm just blown away. We have a very talented arts community, and some very generous local businesses and families who seem to appreciate the role of arts enrichment in public education. Yeah us! We'll do this again every year (I hope) and use the money we raise to bring artists and poets and musicians and storytellers into the school to enrich our kids' education. School spending is stretched thin, and there are no budgetary provisions for extras anymore. Asking taxpayers to fund enrichment is out of the question, they just won't do it. That's where the PTO steps in and helps when we can.

We had two birthdays here this week. My sweet girl is 16! She insisted on making her own cake and I was happy to oblige. Lemon raspberry - it was scrumptious, though I'd have been happy with just a bowl full of the white chocolate ganache she frosted it with. And cheeseburgers on the grill for supper. Who said 16 couldn't be nice and easy? Daniel turned 6 on Wednesday. Now all we hear is "I can do it myself, I'm SIX." Yup, sure can. I'm not ready for any nest emptying yet, but a little extra independence? Bring it on!

It's been cold here again this week, but I'm using the clothesline anyway. I put some jeans and bedding out there this morning, nearly froze my fingers off since it was only 19ยบ but the sun and wind blew them dry anyway. I scattered some pansy seeds in the planter that sits up by the mailbox. That was on Saturday. Sunday, it snowed. Give it a couple months and I'll be bitching about the heat.

I've decided to do some test blocks since I'm making Tori's Bento Box quilt without benefit of a pattern. It's just a half (quarter?) log cabin, right? And I found some 10" squares from a swap I did last spring. Details will follow.

This week


Dinner Menu
Sunday - Cheeseburgers, fries, salad, birthday cake!
Monday - Vegetable soup, focaccia
Tuesday - ham, scalloped potatoes
Wednesday - spaghetti and meatballs
Thursday - breakfast for dinner
Friday - beef stew
Saturday - Pizza

Needlework
Bento test blocks

Other
Tuesday - Daniel dentist afternoon
Tuesday evening - spring concert
Thursday - Principal chat @ middle school
Check out condition of gardens, order load of topsoil?

2 comments:

Vicky aka Stichr said...

The cake is beautiful! HB Tori!

Sara said...

Happy Birthday all the way around. The cake does look good!