Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Me too! Me too!!

I've seen so many wonderful quilts shared over the past few days. Amy at Park City Girl is hosting the 1st Annual Online Quilt Festival, encouraging everyone to share their favourite quilt and its story. Click the button over <-there to go to Amy's blog for details and links to almost 500 beautiful entries. This is mine. I made this quilt in 2005, my part of a Nesting Robin hosted online by a friend of mine, Anna. Every few weeks, she'd prompt us with a song title to inspire the design of the next round or row. I chose to defy convention, and instead of interpreting the inspiration in the piecing, I did so in hand quilting. I LOVE the result. To make this quilt even better, much of the fabric was a gift from another dear friend, Karen. Click the picture to open it larger in a new tab. You can see most of the stitching better.The center is a little hard to see - it's a star, my take on the suggestion Stardust. Moving out to the red diamond, we have Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. Did I stitch diamonds? Of course not. I went for little swirls - my interpretation of kaleidoscope eyes (think the mesmerized cartoon eyes on Saturday morning shows.) Up next was Rainbow Connection and I stitched many little clam shell rainbows. The red square border features one of my favourite sangs, Annie's Song. I wanted to do a feather type treatment, but with pine boughs instead of feathers. I like it! And the last song title was The River, a song I wasn't familiar with. Instead of researching the song and going for something cerebral and clever, I did waves. And they look just fine (and hardly anyone notices the scary frog faces unless I point them out.) ;o)

12 comments:

Zonnah said...

Oh I love it! What a great idea to interpret the songs with quilting :)

Sara said...

Great quilt...I like how you did all that...

Anonymous said...

Neat Quilt....Love the idea and story behind it...

Jocelyn said...

Very clever. Great quilt!

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Now isn't that just the cleverest thing?

Zazzu said...

That's some gorgeous quilting there. And I've always loved offset squares.

Thanks for the option to enlarge the pic. I couldn't see the star in the smaller pic no matter how hard I strained my old eyes.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

I love it! The quilting tells the story

Sequana said...

So pretty - and it makes me want to sing.

stitchinpenny said...

So simple, but with many layers of interest. Wonderful color combination and a wonderful quilt.

Unknown said...

How fun! I love all your interpretations :) Thanks for sharing!

Stephanie D said...

Neat idea! No wonder it's your favorite!

Karen151 said...

Simple and stunning.The center fab was a nice hand too,bet it quilted wondrfully.Great job!