Sunday, August 30, 2009

Weekend Update

Last Week

Needlework
Assemble 48 blocks into 12 chunks
Oma's Hummel for Christmas
Red scarf


Other
Wednesday - truck in for inspection
Saturday - Vergennes Day

clear old rose bed, plant Stella D'Oros
continue garden chores

I spent no time in the garden this week, beyond the few minutes picking cucumbers and tomatoes. The onions are done and pulled and drying. The beans are, realistically, over. Tomatoes are succumbing to blight. The corn is sparse. I am so glad we don't have to rely on this garden for food - we'd starve this winter.

I feel for the CSA farmers - their crops did just as badly, but they took their customers' money anticipating a yield. I guess they must buy produce from other growers to meet their commitments. Not a happy garden year in New England. Suggestions are though, that with all the early rain, and the absence of a stressfully hot July and August, fall foliage should be spectacular. Good for tourism, anyway.

Thursday afternoon I wandered over to my transplanted roses to see how they were settling, and there's lush new growth on all but one. The peonies are likewise green. I noticed the grass around them was a little shaggy so I dragged the push mower over. Tidied that up, went on to cut around the raised beds, then moved over and did the orchard as well. It appears I'm 0 for 2 on cherry trees. I'll stick in a new one next spring if it doesn't leaf out. Third time's a charm? I want to add a Granny Smith and a Gala apple as well, and a sweet cherry too. And move the raspberries over there. Maybe this fall, maybe next spring. After the orchard was done, I raised the blade a little and went over the whole area I cleared last summer. I had great plans to finish that clearing this summer. Didn't happen.

I found the time, somehow, to assemble half of the Bento blocks into chunks. Tori's babysitting tomorrow afternoon, maybe I can finish them up then. I just looked at the calendar and realized the month is once again over. I wonder if there's anything in the UFO pile I can whip together for an August finish...? We'll see tomorrow, hmmm.

This Week

Dinner Menu
Monday - Chicken noodle soup, bread & cheese
Tuesday - fried rice and egg rolls
Wednesday - spaghetti
Thursday - deli sandwiches
Friday - pizza
Saturday - mac and cheese
Sunday - grilled chicken breasts

Needlework
Assemble remaining 24 blocks into 6 chunks
Oma's Hummel for Christmas
Red scarf

Other
Monday - Fundraising bulletin board at elem, school
Wednesday - 1st day of school
Wednesday - hair appointment
clear old rose bed, plant Stella D'Oros
continue garden chores

No comments: