Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Danielle

I started making inquiries the other day with regard to my niece Danielle's colour preferences. My mother, ever the soul of discretion, picked up the phone, called my sister (Danielle's mother) and asked to speak to her. "Aunt Dorothy needs to know what your favourite colour is so she can make you a quilt for Christmas." sigh... By this stage of the game, it should come as no surprise to anyone that they're getting a quilt for their sixteenth birthday, but still. Anyway, blue and green, specifically dark blue and lime green. Well, okay, I can work with that. I know I said pink and it would be the tulips, but I think it would be pretty in blues too, especially with the contrast of a dark blue flower and lime green leaves. Dunno. I'll dig out some fabs and see what they choose. Maybe with a little splash of orange.

I've been pondering next year's silent auction quilt too... I wonder if I can tie the school garden project in somehow. Maybe a Corn and Beans quilt?

And speaking of gardening (heh, like that segue?) I scored big this weekend. I was walking to the drugstore Saturday when what did I spy in front of the florist but a couple of pots with a sign "Free Bulbs." Better than just bulbs, they were free HYACINTH bulbs. Hyacinths easily go for 2 or 3 dollars a piece, and there were 7 in total! I went in to let Diane know I was taking them (gotta love a small town) and spotted some lovely pink tulips in the cooler. Bought those. She then reached behind a screen and took a pot of bloomed out mini daffodils from the front window, and gave me those too! Score! I got home, checked my email and found another friend was giving away a load of daylily splits. I don't need all of them, and was happy to share them with the other eager respondents. Now all I need is for spring to stick around (it's cold and wintery again) so I can get all my free treasures in the ground. In the meantime, I guess I'll sew.

1 comment:

Vicky aka Stichr said...

I know all those springy things are in good hands!