Sunday, November 27, 2005

Living in myself

I've mentioned I love where I live. I love this state and the people in it, I love this town and everything it gives me, I love my home and everyone in it. We're not especially house-proud people, we don't spend the children's inheritance decorating or furnishing it to the nines. But we maintain, and we're comfortable here. When things need to be fixed, they get fixed. When things need to be taken care of, care is taken. Our house is our home, and we look after it.

My spirit lives inside me. My body is the home of my spirit, and frankly, I've been doing a shabby job of keeping the place up. I like myself, for the most part, but I do NOT like the way I've forced my spirit to live. I've not redecorated in years, things are broken and I've slapped on a coat of paint. It won't do.

This is not the time of year for New Year's Resolutions, and that's just as well - I don't do well in that department. So this time around, maybe I'll give myself the next few weeks to ramp up to it. It takes 14 days to make or break a habit, I've read. I've got a month to get out of my lazy-self habit. My self deserves better.

No comments: