Sunday, August 20, 2006

71º and sweating like a pig.

I guess the 89% humidity has something to do with that. I'm thinking an iron could make a pretty handy space heater come January, though.

I now have 162 string blocks - I'll do 6 more tomorrow to give me enough for a 14 x 12 (105" x 90") layout. I'm going to put that together(ish) and see if it's big enough. I think I've lost complete hold of my sanity - I'm gong to quilt this myself. Divide and Conquer style. Or at least what I think is Divide and Conquer style. I don't have the book, don't care to fork out $26 for the book, and I think I can figure it out on my own. Or something (the something being, shove it in a bag and move on to something else until I get sick of moving it out of the way to get what I'm after and I send it off to Margaret to quilt properly.)

I'm 1/3 of the way around Duncan's quilt binding. I worked on it last night until I couldn't see to thread a needle even with my cool old lady reading glasses (they're purple and yellow and green - heh, like a bruise.) Figured I'd go have a shower and go to bed. Turned on the tap. Nothing. "Honey, we have no water." "Yeah we do, there's a case of evian in the back of the van." "No, honey we have NO WATER." "Oh. Shit." Decadent as it would have been to bath in French Alp water, I resisted and grabbed the umbrella to go see what I could see.

There were trucks and and excavators lined up along the other side of the street, at least a dozen of them. At 11 o'clock at night. On a Saturday. Those boys'll be celebrating next payday! :o) They said the water would be back on in a few hours. I, of course had changed the sheets yesterday, and spent the morning pulling weeds and helping with the cleanup of the preschool playground, so I opened the bathroom faucet and crashed in the living room. Scott was watching Severed. Thanks, but no. I rolled over and tried to figure out the best math to divide up this monster quilt so I can conquer it myself. I was asleep within minutes ;o) and woke up to running water at about 1:30. Showered, stumbled into bed, and slept until 8 this morning. Sunday morning walk? Not today!

4 comments:

Rian said...

I have the Divide & Conquer book if you want me too look up anything for you--just let me know. You can email me from my blog and then I can answer you directly.

Anonymous said...

Sweating like a what?

Debra Dixon said...

I can't wait to see this gem! I love string quilts and always have a few small ones in progress. Can we see some pictures?? Do you need any strings?

Dorothy said...

Sweating like a YOU, hunny. I'm honoured to be able to pay homage to such a dear friend in such a disgusting manner.

Debra - there's pictures back a few weeks, though none lately. Lemme see what I can come up with.