Friday, September 29, 2006

Autumn in Vermont

The woodchucks* have been polishing up their bumper stickers - it must be autumn in Vermont. I think ever since I can remember I wanted to visit New England in the fall. Now I live here - how lucky am I?! For the rest of you less fortunates, however, I will try (and no promises beyond a promise to try) to post a picture every day of October so you can experience Vermont in autumn without the airport stripsearch. How lucky are YOU!?

I'll start a day or two early. This is the first trail Scott ever cut into our woods. It goes down a hill that's steeper coming up than going down, to our ravine - the remains of where the water used to drain before we messed everything up by building a house here. The path is covered with fallen pine needles. It was windy here the last few days so even the 60 foot evergreens dropped some leaves. The trail connects up to a smaller deer path that leads down to the brook. Maybe we'll go for a walk this weekend.

It's still quite green here. The wild grapevines and virginia creeper and poison ivy are turning red, the poplars and box elders are yellow, but the maples and oaks are still green. Soon enough...

On the right is my favourite little spruce. It's probably 1/3 again as tall as it was when we moved here 6 years ago, about 30 feet? It's a nice tree, a great welcome to that path.


*Woodchuck - A term used for a native Vermonter who displays Vermont characteristics. Derogatory if used by a person out of state, otherwise known as a flat-lander.

4 comments:

just me said...

I look forward to your pictures..I love fall and especially the New England colors! Love your path into the woods, how peaceful that looks.

Anonymous said...

What a nice landscape quilt that pic would make,I bet you'll get a bunch more quilt ideas in pics!

Anonymous said...

Great Idea Dorothy. Am looking forward to the pix. The pie pix aren't bad either.

Rian said...

Thanks for this peek into your world. I am excited to see the pictures of autumn in the days to come. We don't get "fall" out here. A few trees turn colors, but even those aren't brilliant. I was in you're neck o' the woods during fall once and it was incredible.