Tuesday, October 10, 2006

If I had a million dollars

I'd buy a 26' Airstream trailer and this front door. Those numbers above the door are not the street number, they're the date the house was built. General Samuel Strong, 34 years old, son of one of the founding fathers of our tiny town, sheriff , mayor, first president of the local bank, commander at the 1814 Battle of Plattsburgh, and assistant judge of the county built this house for his family in 1796. It is owned by someone out of state who is letting it fall into disrepair because he's holding out for the big bucks. Or something. This house and its shameful condition has disturbed me from the first time I saw it. I buy the occasional PowerBall ticket with my family's full under- standing that this is where the money would go. And the Airstream, just 'cause I think they're absolutely adorable!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck on reaching your first million!

http://daythree.blogspot.com/

His Office, My Studio said...

If I won a million I would share. This house needs to be save and loved.

Jane Ann said...

Glad you explained the Airstream part. I was worried about how that door was going to fit the back end of it.

Anonymous said...

That is such a shame. Perhaps the building can be declared historical and saved. I dig the Airstreams. They are really cool.

Pam said...

It really is sure a shame to have such history left to ruin. It looks like such a treasure of a house. You live in a beautiful area. I love your pictures.

If I had a million dollars - I'd buy you a green dress -- but not a real green dress, that would be cruel.

Sorry couldn't help myself.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that house could really be a stunner if someone put in the effort. I've recently taken an interest in old historic homes and just love all the character! They sure don't build 'em like that anymore.