Monday, January 22, 2007

Muffin recipe

I made these this morning, yummy! A warning, though, they're um, potent. Almost 6 grams of fibre per muffin. Anyone remember Phil Hartman on Saturday Night Live? I'm thinking I should call these Colon Blow Muffins (sorry.) You might want to enjoy them with a nice piece of cheese, though, just to be safe.

Bran Muffins (makes 2 dozen, they freeze well)
adapted from Kellogg's Original Bran Muffins (on the box)

2 cups unbleached flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon

2 Cups All Bran with Extra Fibre
2 1/2 cups non-fat milk
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup sugar
2 eggs


Preheat oven to 400ยบ. Spray two 12 cup muffin pans with non-stick spray. Don't use paper liners, there isn't much fat in this recipe and the muffins will stick to the liners.

Mix together bran cereal, milk, applesauce, eggs, and sugar. Allow to sit for a few minutes to soften the cereal. Stir together flour, baking powder and cinnamon, then add it into the softened cereal, stirring only until blended. Scoop evenly into 24 muffin cups, bake approximately 20 minutes, rotating pans halfway through.

Nutrition info
per muffin

117 calories
less than 1 gram fat
29 grams carbs
5.9 grams fibre

6 comments:

Dorothy said...

next time I'm in the market for a French Maid costume, Wu, I'll know right where to go. Thanks for the invitation! (insert eye roll)

Rian said...

Hey those sound yummy. I haven't had bran muffins in a blue moon and guess what, I have All-bran in my pantry.

Sheila said...

I can remember seeing that SNL episode like it was yesterday. Probably the only one I'll ever remember, next to the recent one of (Blank) In a Box!

Dorothy said...

It's okay, Sheila, you can curse on my blog. I thought that sketch was hysterical!

dee said...

what's with Wu & yu???? They're re-running News Radio on TBS-Phil Hartman was one of the funniest people alive...your coming in close though.

Dorothy said...

Funny? It's a Canadian thing. We're a very humourous people. I mean seriously, look at all the extra *u*s we use, just to amuse youse (guys.) Hee!

And Wu? dunno, he wants me to check out his personal blog and leave a little comment for him there. Sadly, this bod in what he's selling would frighten the children and drive off the horses. It just wouldn't be fair to humanity.