Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Is it just me?

Am I the only knitter on the planet who can't use circular needles? Seriously, it should be easier, yes? Can't do it.

This hat-to-be is for Kate's Boston Children's Hospital Hat Contest (she probably has a really great, clever name for it, but I just don't remember it.) The yarn is this incredibly soft rayon called Chinchilla (appropriate) and I love how quick it's going.

I still have scarf on the needles, and the string quilt in pieces. They'll get done, soon, but these hats are fun and important, so they come first most of the time.

And now for something completely different...

Daniel had a little enamel issue with his teeth - they grew in pre-"cavitied." How awful did I feel as the mother of the baby with rotten teeth? Not my fault, of course, but I'm the mom, and babies are supposed to have beautiful toothy grins. Here's a before shot, with the exposed dentin there for all to see. See those horrific orangey- brown spots? I'm so ashamed.

And after a visit to Daniel's new "buddy" (his word) Dr. Maurer, the beautiful after shot. He sat still, no freezing, not even topical. He endured some grinding to even off the edges, painting of a sealant, application of the filling (including the UV curing), and buffing to blend the edges and polish the new enamel. What a trooper!

8 comments:

Teri said...

Either way he has a beautiful smile!

QuiltingFitzy said...

What a great job...and such a great thing to have done for your kid. I can only imagine the teasing he would have gotten from those "dear" school chums.

My dd #1 & #3 have both had the space virtually filled in between their two top big teeth. The space was really big! The dentist used the same method as on your son's.

Anonymous said...

It's enamel dysplasia and hopefully it won't be on the permanent teeth.Any high fevers as an infant that interrupted the development of the enameloblasts? What a trooper!Tell him I am very proud of him sitting so good for the dentist!Good boy!

Dorothy said...

Dr. Maurer asked about infant fevers. Nothing that I can recall, though he did get every cold the kids brought home from school. The rest of his teeth are gorgeous. The two front teeth did come in late though - he had his eye teeth (?) first and it was months before those two up front came in. He looked like a hockey player! ;o)

If it's on the permanent teeth, we'll just get those fixed too. We wanted to get this done so that the dentin (and nerve) was never exposed. Appearance was secondary, but a super bonus. :o)

Rian said...

I can't say anything about teeth or enamel because I know nothing about it. But the kid is cute and looks just like Mom.

Good luck with the secondaries.

dee said...

That child is just plain adorable.

Suze said...

My daughter had that too...they figure it was from a fever I had whilst she was cooking...her permanent teeth were just fine...in fact the kid to my knowledge has never had a cavity! And they are straight too - she never had to wear braces either!

Jules said...

My sister had it on both her baby and permanent teeth. She had it fixed after she had them straightened. She looks great. She had very high fevers as a child.

He is adorable.