Sunday, April 08, 2007

And thus endeth the Candy Holidays

We call those special days from Hallowe'en through Easter the Candy Holidays. With the possible exception of Thanksgiving (which is about every kind of food but candy) every holiday from October through April involves sweets. The Hallowe'en collection has to hold out until Christmas, that candy has to last until Valentine's Day, which has to last until Easter. Easter candy has to carry you all the way through until Hallowe'en, with some possible replenshment at various Memorial Day or July 4th parades. Starbursts and Jolly Ranchers don't compare to Peeps and Russell Stover, but you make do. And so we find ourselves inthe middle of April, preparing to enter the long, lean months ahead. Thank the fat gods for Fried Dough and Street Weinies. ;o)

Today, pictures! The Bra Quilt "It's What's Inside That Counts" is finished! Needs the label sewn on, but otherwise, done. I could not be happier to see the end of a project, let me tell ya.

Daniel is 3'3", for scale. This is not a cute little wallhanging. I wish. It's big and bold and in-yer-face. (And out of mine.)

Here, embellished. Not every cleavage is adorned. As in real life, some women just don't wear jewelery. The busty chick in the bottom left corner gave me fits. She really needed to go up a cup size or two. Giving her the benefit of the doubt, she got little block beads that spell BABY. Tight nursing bra? Been there. The blue snakeskin ran a little, both times I washed it. Not much I can do about that I guess. It looks okay in real life - the flash accentuated the blue migration onto the pale skin. Maybe she's just cold.

The pink cornerstones are scribbled all over with breast cancer facts - 1 in 8 American women will develop breast cancer, a woman is diagnosed every 3 minutes, half of all cases have no obvious risk factors. It really is what's inside that counts. This is being donated to the Mammography Unit at Porter hospital in Middlebury. What they do with it? Not my problem. ;o)

And finally, the scarf for the fundraiser that isn't. It's more than 7 feet long, it will surely keep the neck of one of my teen aged nieces warm next winter. I'll decide which one later. Or maybe I'll just make another - it was easy and quick enough - no pattern, just mindless knitting until the wool ran out.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love finishing quilts. And I love finishing candy. I laugh out loud when you speak of candy lasting until the next holiday. My candy never even lasts until the next day.

Christine Thresh said...

If the clinic does not want it, you can give it to Daniel and he will not need a pillow on his bed.

Congratulations on finishing your quilt. I guess I'd better get back to working on mine.

Vicky aka Stichr said...

The quilt is wonderful D! Glad you finished it.

Rian said...

Yay, the bra quilt is done! Now what!

Teri said...

I LOVE it! You did a great job. And I like the message.

Debra Dixon said...

Good for you for sticking it out & finishing the quilt! I am sure the clinic can figure out what to do with it.