Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Sliding Sideways into Lake Namagiri

Houston, we have a problem.

Can you see it? The longest seam, that one connecting rows 6 and 7, or 5 and 6, whatever - one of the two looooong ones, has slid sideways into the muddy depths of Lake Namagiri. (look at the second edge block from the bottom.) It seems math isn't the only challenge I'm having with this quilt. Time to bring Saraswati into this. She represents art and creativity, and banishes chaos. That's the ticket.


Thanks to Marcia's easy-peasy directions, the setting triangles were a snap. So much so, in fact, that since I needed 18 of them, and 18 is not evenly divisible by the 4 QSTs I was cutting for the edge triangles, AND I'm trying to NOT keep weird shaped scraps, I figured out a way to use that extra piece to make all four corner triangles with minimal waste. I cut that one initial square an inch bigger (1/2" should have been enough but I was totally unprepared to trust my judgment, you know, history and all.) I cut the square in half diagonally as if making QSTs, but then did the second cut on only one piece. From the other I cut 2 triangles and a square, which I then cut into 2 more triangles. They all have the bias edge in the right place too! Clear? No? Can't imagine. Here's a pic. The big diagonal is cut 1, everything was done with the pieces far, far apart. You know, history and all. I think this must have been the point at which Saraswati showed up. Maybe today she'd gone for a coffee or something when I messed up that seam.

The end is in sight, this one will be finished tomorrow (tonight?) and put aside until I find backing. Then off to the quilter, home for binding, and then all I have to do is wait patiently for December. I'll share a full pic tomorrow.

2 comments:

Rian said...

I had to look at it an embarrassingly long time, but finally I saw it. Looks easy enough to fix; hope it is.

Vicky aka Stichr said...

I think I need to study it more...am not quite seeing what you want me to see...