Wednesday, February 06, 2008

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

Yesterday's forecast of "1 to 4 inches of snow" must have been a typo, since we're closing in on FOURTEEN. One to the Four, more like it. Word.

But that's not the only sign of Christmas around here, oh no. Not at all. I, ahem, have finished piecing 1/2 of the Christmas Extravaganza or whatever it's called Quilts! May I introduce "Saraswati," the quilt for my niece Alana. She'll turn 16 in August, and this quilt will signify the end of the line for the Christmas Gift Train. Boohoo (or yeah, as the case may be.)
I went with my gut and did the west facing point - it's what I wanted. Having the red/white division horizontal made the block seem wider, and threw off the proportion of the quilt. And one more reason, or maybe subconsciously THE reason, I couldn't put these blocks pointing north? They look like advancing legions of Santa Clauses! Nightmares!)

I've switched thoughts on Phillip's quilt. I was thinking it'd be something simple, like Sticks and Stones, but the colours won't present themselves. So now I'm leaning towards Chinese Coins, but instead of full length strips, have them broken up into maybe 18" chunks. I'll sleep on it.

7 comments:

Tanya Brown said...

"... advancing legions of Santa Clauses!"

Snort!

Richelle said...

Great quilt!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness it's fabu!!! And I had to really hunt for the almost invisible mistake too.Love the way you turned it too!

dee said...

I like the setting and I didn't think I would. 14 inches huh? I guess you're not coming for lunch?

Dorothy said...

It was 14 inches last night. We're closing in on 20, though it's slowing down now. I broomed off the windshield and doors of the truck this morning to take the kids to school (2 hour delay) and it looked like it had transformed into a VW Vanagon.

Daniel and I are having pancakes for lunch. Chocolate chip pancakes. yum!

DebbyMc said...

Beautiful, Dorothy! One of my favorite quilt blocks...this is so striking in the red and white. I love that it is all scraps...

QuiltingFitzy said...

Swim lil fishies, SWIM!

I'm lovin' it girlfriend.