Sunday, March 23, 2008

The End (thank gawd!) of the Candy Holidays

You know, it starts with Halloween, and the candy just keeps coming 'til Easter. Maybe something about the craving for carbs to get us through the long dark months in between. Whatever, make it last, kiddies. There's no more sugar until October.

So, what'd I do this week? Lots o'birthdays, that's for darn sure. Daniel's cake was yellow, with chocolate frosting and sprinkles. Tori's was strawberry shortcake (not bad for thrown together on an exceptionally busy Saturday between mopping the floor and doing Cancer Society daffodil duty in the sunshine outside the grocery store.




Here's a picture of mine - that golden glow in the background is Tori insisting on jamming 15 lit candles into her poor little cake.

The paska was delicious! Just like I remember. The dough was exceptionally easy to handle, very cooperative at rising. Maybe a little more than I expected? I made 1/2 the recipe, and since a full one made 3 8" loaves, I figured I could come up with 2 loaves in my little Wilton 6" springform pans. Next time I'll use the bigger pans. The bread won't be as tall, but it won't look quite so much like a huge muffin, either.

Delicious; I can definitely see some french toast in my future. I don't knwo if there's any significance to the top decorating - I made a braid for the outside and filled the middle with knots. If there IS a meaning, and I've insulted the tradition, I totally apologize. The recipe's at the end of this post - cut the sugar a little and make a single braid and you'd have an exceptional challah.

I did some sewing and some knitting this week too, but no pictures. I've decided that although I love the precision of paper piecing I really, REALLY hate doing it. It wastes too much fabric and involves too much up-down, press, trim, fiddle and for me; the trade off's not worth it. I'm nearing the end of the four little airplanes I'm making for Jack (is that his name? I think so) and am about to do the final sleeve of Tori's sweater. It may be done while it's still cool enough for her to wear it! I'd hoped it could be a birthday present but I ran out of time. No worries.

Easter Paska

* 4 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
* 1/2 cup warm water
* 1/2 cup white sugar
* 3 cups warm milk
* 4 cups all-purpose flour
* 6 eggs, beaten
* 3/4 cup white sugar
* 1 cup butter, softened
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
* 12 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 egg
* 1 tablespoon water
* 2 tablespoons butter, melted

1. Soften the yeast in 1/2 cup warm water and 1/2 cup sugar in large mixing bowl until slightly frothy.

2. Warm the milk just to lukewarm. Add to the yeast mixture with four cups of flour. Mix well. (I used the Kitchenaid and the flat paddle, mixing just until blended. Consistency will be like thick pancake batter.) Cover and put in a dark, warm place until the mixture is bubbly and doubled in size. (Took about 1 hour in a warmed, but shut off oven.)

3. Stir in the beaten eggs, 3/4 cup sugar, butter, salt, and lemon peel until well blended. Begin adding the remaining flour a cup at a time to form a very soft dough. Don't burn out your mixer motor! Use the dough hook, but only until a soft dough forms.)

4. Turn the dough out onto a floured board and knead in more flour until a smooth dough forms and the dough is soft and elastic, about 10 minutes. Form a ball and coat with oil to prevent it drying out. Plop into a large oiled bowl and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled, about 2 hours. Punch dough down, and allow to rise again for 30 minutes.

5. Divide dough into six parts. Working with each loaf separately, use two of the parts - shape one into a round disk and put into a 8" springform pan. (I'd go bigger, or freeform) Create braids, twists, knots etc to cover the disk shape. Spray the disk lightly with water to encourage the twists to adhere. Let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Brush loaves with 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water

6. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 to 50 minutes, or until dark golden brown. Remove from oven and brush hot bread with 1 tbsp butter to soften the crust.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Do you think paska can handle the post? Cos that sure looks delish and you know I am not much of a hand in the kitchen!!

The Calico Cat said...

Beautiful paska - I had never even heard of that before. I like the way is it tall... Did you just pull at the knots?

BTW Challah can not have butter or milk. (I turn my left over challah into bread pudding. YUM.)

Dorothy said...

Amy, I didn't realize that - no butter and no eggs, and yet it's so rich. Must add more eggs? I love challah, and I love bread pudding. But do you have to make the bread pudding without eggs and milk too?

Rian said...

The paska looks wonderful. I was unaware of the "candy holidays," never thought about it. It's so very convenient that your offspring celebrate their birthdays within the Candy Season.