Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Did you?

Back at the beginning of March I posted a link to Laura's Sew Every Day Challenge. Did you? With only 2 exceptions, I did! 28 days, and what did I accomplish? Well, according to the rules of the thing, I get to post pictures to share. So share I shall.

#1 Sea of China went from a pile of strips to a finished top. If you're visiting from Laura's blog and not familiar with my particular perversion of normalcy, it's a Christmas (2008) gift for my 16 year old (today actually!) nephew Phillip. I decided many fewer progeny ago that as each of my nieces and nephews turned 16, they would get one final "welcome to the big leagues" Christmas gift from me. This one is the second (and final) for this year - the first, Saraswati, is viewable back here and is for my niece Alana.


#2 Easter Wallhanging is finished! This was supposed to be done by Christmas. I hosted a "Done by Christmas Nesting Robin" based on the titles of favourite children's books. Being realistic, I chose an Easter colour palette. Self-fulfilling prophecy?






#3 Quickie Little Airplane quilt for Jack. Paper piecing the four little airplanes took as long as everything else combined.




Those are the dones. But there's more, oh yes, MUCH more. Well, not so much, but there is more.

#4 Further to the #1 item above, I also try to make something for the under 16s every year too, though the make part is entirely optional - time and budget dependent. Last year was a scarf/sweatshirt hybrid and I didn't hear any complaints. And further to #2, I'm recognizing my weaknesses, and that foot-dragging can be one of them. Since I was struck by a bolt of BRILLIANCE!! just after Christmas and came up with the BEST gift idea, and since I'm a little quilted out right now, I've begun working on them. Reversible aprons à la Vicky, and for each family, a gingerbread house kit. How fun is that?! I know! BRILLIANT!! These two are for my brother Rob's 2 kids, Katherine and Braiden. (7 more to go)

And finally #5 When there was nothing else to spend my hour 10 minutes on, I worked on my leader / ender forever project. Eventually, this will be a 70" x 70" collection of 1 inch squares. Right now it's 16" x 16" with a lot of potential.

7 comments:

laura west kong said...

Wow Dorothy, that's wonderful! Check back on my blog after the 10th of April for the posting of everyone's links.

Rian said...

Very nice! Such accomplishments! I started to, but forgot about halfway through....well when I got drailed by a broken machine.

Tanya Brown said...

I like the idea of the "welcome to the big leagues" gift - a clever and thoughtful tradition.

Your post definitely shows how small, consistent efforts add up. I'm impressed with all that you accomplished.

Jeri said...

love the Sea of China! you've really been a quilting whiz this past month!

Cheryl Gebhart said...

Looks like you got a lot done - good for you for quilting all but 2 days too! I didn't do quite as well, but didn't miss very many days. I love the little squares - and I'd love to know more about them too.

Shelina said...

Wow these are all wonderful - I'm impressed at how much you can get done in such a short amount of time! I try to quilt everyday too - but don't get much accomplished in 10 minutes.

Granny Fran said...

You really accomplished a lot. What are the chances that 2 of us would come up with airplane quilts to work on. Mine didn't get very far as my good intentions got derailed. But I did get more done than I would have without the challenge.