Thursday, April 03, 2008

Mola, mola, mola!

(I'd offer apologies to Austin Powers, but really, I think Austin Powers should apologize to me.)

I volunteer a few hours in the elementary school library every week, I have since my kids started kindergarten. I love words, I love books, and I love libraries. One of the jobs I look forward to is cataloging new books - it's so exciting to see all the brand new books! I barcode them, get them into the computer, spine label and mylar when needed. Fun fun, and the time flies. This week, a new carton full. Two stood out though, for different reasons.

In September, my dear friend Susan, our school's guidance councillor, came in for The Children's Book of Virtues. We checked where it should have been, but it wasn't there. Checking the OPAC we discovered it was out. But to whom? School had just started and The Children's Book of Virtues isn't really a kid's first choice. Doing a little sleuthing, I discovered it had been signed out in June. By a parent. Of a graduating 6th grader. Who moved away over the summer. Seriously, she stole The Children's Book of Virtues. Oh, the irony. So librarian Amy ordered a new one.

The second, though, I put aside to pore over with a cup of coffee and an apple cookie from the lovely ladies in the kitchen. Oh, this book is GORGEOUS! And now I want to make a mola. Or at least own one. They can be bought on eBay for what seems to be a pittance, but something about that smells a little stinky to me. Like maybe they aren't real (like one I made wouldn't be real) or worse, maybe they ARE real and the Cuna women who made them are being exploited.

Heh, maybe I just need to get myself down to Panama and get the real deal. Yeah, that'll happen.

2 comments:

Tanya Brown said...

Stealing books is beyond low, although stealing The Children's Book of Virtues is deliciously ironic.

The mola book does indeed look wonderful. I was looking around for a better source than eBay, but alas, nothing has reared its head yet.

Vicky aka Stichr said...

You can get mola's in Costa Rica. I will go blog the one I was given...