Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Comity

comity

Main Entry:
co·mi·ty           Listen to the pronunciation of comity           Listen to the pronunciation of comity
Pronunciation:
\ˈ-mə-, ˈ-\
Definition: a state of mutual harmony, friendship, and respect, esp. between or among nations or people; civility

Here's my word for 2009.

I've spent the past week looking for the word to fit the definition I was going for. I wanted something that meant acceptance, but without compromise. Although the Latin roots are different, comity carries with it some sense of accommodation - the mutual respect part of the definition. I can accept things and people as they are without compromising who I am or what I believe. Easier said than done, I'm a little uh, stubborn sometimes.

4 comments:

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Super word - now maybe I need to find me a word for the new year. I like the idea of it.

Vicky aka Stichr said...

I agree, good word.

QuiltingFitzy said...

Stopping by on this Christmas Eve to wish you and the family a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

xo

Christine Thresh said...

That is a very good word and thought for 2009. Thank you.