Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Neeeeext!



This is the next thing on my Next Four list. I'm sneaking something else in, too, but it's little-ish, so it doesn't need more fanfare.

I bought this top on eBay for $8 I think. It's sizeable - 4x5 feet at least, but not big enough. I love the look from a distance, up close not so much. My plan, I think, is to make more blocks, in the same configuration, but with more saturated colours, and a dark *something* where the muslin is in the original feedsack blocks. Once it's assembled, I'm going to take the "how to" class on the HQ16 at Thread Connections and this will be my first finish.

To purists, it's probably sacrilegious of me to add new bold fabrics, not even repros to a true feedsack top, and then to quilt it on a mid-arm machine, but phtth. I think finishing it in ANY manner is very much in keeping with the spirit of feedsack quilts. Better it gets used somehow than it falls to pieces in my cabinet downstairs.

2 comments:

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

I agree - a finish is a finish - and our ancestors didn't quibble about how it was done - just get it done and use that quilt.

Will be anxious to see the finished quilt - I love it as it is, so adding more just will make it better.

Quiltgal said...

I took a lesson on a long arm a couple of weeks ago and used a small quilt that I have made for the Premature babies at our local hospital. Our guild has a program we donate too. It felt great just to get it done. Great Idea, Dorothy.