Monday, December 08, 2008

May I celebrate your holiday?

Let's start this bluntly. I do not believe that 2000 +/- years ago a baby born of a virgin came to this earth to save mankind from himself. I am not a Christian. In fact, I'm not a follower of any organized religion. If you want to know where I stand on the whole deal, click here. But that's not really what this is about.

Christmas, in the literal interpretation, as the celebration of the birth of the Christ child is not my holiday. Neither is Easter, or Passover, or Diwali, or Eid, or Saturnalia, or Yule, or Cinco de Mayo or Bastille Day for that matter. But THAT Christmas, the Christian Christmas is not the holiday of Santa, or stockings, or coloured lights on an evergreen. Candles and midnight choirs? Sure. But a blazing yule log? nope. Candy canes? Okay, but not holly or mistletoe. And honestly, was Jesus REALLY born in December? Unlikely.

But I like Christmas. I like the choirs, and the tree, and the candy and the presents. I like the nativity story, and I like the real story of Saint Nicholas, and I like Santa, too. And I love the whole Joy to the World and Peace to all Men spirit of Christmas.

So, Christians who are trying, in some places, to wrestle Christmas away from the masses, to keep it for yourselves, I have a question for you. If you can share the tree and the holly with the Druids, and the timing with the pagans, the one horse open sleigh with Thanksgiving, and even your vision of the "right" Santa with Coca-Cola, can't we, the non-Christians who nonetheless enjoy the spirit of giving and the warmth of fellowship, can't we share the season with you?

If I wish you Happy Holidays, it's probably because I'm unsure of your beliefs. But may I bid you a Merry Christmas without being criticized?

(btw, I find the picture up top, borrowed off the net, totally offensive. To everyone. Click it to go to the source)

9 comments:

Jules said...

Great Post.

QuiltingFitzy said...

I've told you before, but you're AWESOME.

I tell folks who ask, when they ask (and they DO ask), "Are you religious?" I say, "NO, I'm spiritual." They have no idea how to proceed and it usually gets them quiet(er). It's my own bidness.

dee said...

I love the way you think and Fitzy has a great comment.
I write letters of thanks for the Food Pantry. I just completed over 40 of them. I have to separate them into Christian, Other and holiday. Ridiculous but I can't stand the crappy feedback so it's something I have to live with...Bah Humbug. If it keeps the checks and cash coming in I guess I have to put up with a little crap from the holy-rollers and uptight lecturers. Last year I got a whole dissertaion on why I should have said Merry Christmas instead of "Hope you have a lovely holiday season". Believe me when I say, no good deed goes un-punished.
How's this..I hope this lovely season brings you peace and joy.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Super wonderful - I love your sentiment. I agree also with the comments here - it is our own business - and I love to say happy holidays, as well as merry christmas - depending on my mood (and I don't like to offend either, so I am careful about my greetings if I know of a special circumstance). I love all the fun and games and buying and giving and decorating and cooking - it all adds to the festivities, and I love a reason for a party (doesn't even have to be a good reason) LOL

I send out christmas cards - usually with a teddy bear on them, since I collect teddy bears - and I put Hannukah stamps on them - or sometimes Kwanza stamps - just to include all the celebrations at this time. I love celebrations. It is always grand to include others (are the christians listening? or are we making them sqirm a bit) inclusion is a wonderful word, no one likes to be shunned - so I say bring on Santa and baby Jesus, and spinning tops and ham and turkey and latkes and whatever else you feast upon at holidays - let's all join hands and love each other - that is the best "religion" around.

Qubie said...

Where can I get one of them ornaments? I think it is great. I would put it front and center on my Christmas tree.

I think at this time of the year everyone needs to come together no matter who or what religion you are.

Vicky aka Stichr said...

Jesus Is Not My Reason For The Season...that's a direct quote from a bumper sticker in my head. I love Christmas lights, they sure brighten what is a short day. Santa is a cute ELF. Trees inside are a change in decor, wreaths have good vibes, cards once a year are about all I can handle, as for colors of the season--they come in many, I'll take them all.

Christine Thresh said...

That figurine is awful. It makes my head spin.
I love the holidays. I especially love peace on earth, goodwill to men (and women).
My parents (trying to be honest) told me Santa was the spirit of Christmas. Of course I thought they meant he was a ghost. I was a confused child. I did survive.

DebbyMc said...

Wonderful post, Dorothy, thank you. I went back and read the other posts you linked to, too. You have such a way of getting right to the heart of matters, and you so eloquently express it. My cards are always of the Peace on Earth variety, and I make them myself because that is all I want them to say right now. Let us all celebrate what is good in each other and the good we can do for others.

Warty Mammal said...

Well said in both posts, and a good reminder to enjoy this sweet one-way ride we're on.