Friday, February 20, 2009

Friday Flashback

I'm late with this. The kids are off school this week and I'm having a hard time keeping track of what day it is. No big deal.

Today I made up some cookies. I started out making regular chocolate chip, but took some liberties and ended up with something quite yummy.

I've mentioned before that I burned everything when I baked as a kid, and I HAD TO follow a recipe exactly in order for things to even stand a chance at turning out recognizable. Saturday morning was baking day and there was always a large batch of cookies. Most often it was the recipe off the back of the Chipits bag, occasionally oatmeal or peanut butter. My favourite was a soft oatmeal cookie with raspberry jam on the top. Mom, of course, has no idea what I'm talking about when I reminisce about them, so the recipe is lost to the ages. Too bad.

Used-to-be Chocolate Chip Cookies
(I started with the Chipits recipe)

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups flour
1 cup oatmeal
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chips
1 Ghiradelli white chocolate baking bar, chopped coarsely
1/2 cup shredded coconut

Cream butter, shortening and sugars. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir salt and soda into flour, then add to creamed mixture. Stir in oats, chocolate chips, white chocolate and coconut. Drop 1/8 cup mounds onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake in preheated 375ยบ oven for 10 minutes or so, until golden (and you can't stand it any longer.)

No comments: