Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy VD! (a Saturday Flashback)

We always had a free calendar posted behind the family room door, next to the telephone. My earliest memory of that calendar was a Superior Propane one, with each month featuring a stubby yellow tanker truck in various sexy poses - pulled up to a barn, driving down the highway, snuggled up to a suburban bungalow.


Around the time I started high school, the traditional behind the door next to the phone calendar became the Ontario Milk Marketing Board's Milk Calendar. Every family I knew had the milk calendar in the kitchen. Shoot, I'd put it up now if I had one, it's a GORGEOUS calendar full of great recipes.)






But one year, between the propane and the milk, there was a calendar from a public health group of some sort. And of that calendar, the only thing I remember is the entry for February 14th. There was a lovely red heart and "VD* doesn't stand for Valentine's Day."



I was naive, and couldn't imagine any other possible thing that it could stand for, especially not in the middle of February.

*and now I feel old having to explain - Social Disease = Venereal Disease (VD) = Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD)

3 comments:

Vicky aka Stichr said...

I am getting old too...I get looks now when I make a comment about my initials...VD...

Sara said...

Oh, you made me laugh...

Warty Mammal said...

Great stuff. I, too, am from the VD rather than STD era.