Friday, March 27, 2009

Bag Bed Big Box But

*
Elementary schools don't seem to use spellers any more. Was it a Canadian thing? A textbook, starting in Grade One, with a list of words in a column down the left side, with word usage and spelling exercises on the remainder of the page. And a test on Friday. I've always loved words, and those five -- bag, bed, big, box, but -- are the first test in the first week of the first speller of first grade. September 1970. Did I come across the test in a box of old things? No, I committed that test so firmly to memory I've never forgotten it.

*No, I didn't use that speller, I couldn't find a pic of the Harcourt Brace textbook I loved so dearly. Sigh, I'm not that old!

1 comment:

Laura W said...

I memorized that list, too! In fact, it's how I found your page. I searched on those words.