Friday, April 10, 2009

Friday Flashback

I call my mom every Monday and every Thursday evening at 9:00. That's the deal anyway, unless one of us (usually her) has a better offer. ;o) Last night I asked her if the Easter Bunny was going to come to her house. "I don't believe in the Easter Bunny." Thinking back, she never did. We didn't get Easter Baskets, or Easter dresses. No Easter egg hunts, or pretty hats, either. Easter was for church. And maybe a little hollow rabbit from somewhere. Is the Easter Bunny a North American thing? Maybe that explained it?

We did colour eggs though, and there's nothing that transports me back to a newspaper covered table like the smell of hard boiled eggs and vinegar, and the little sound of fizzy Paas tablets. Followed of course by a week's worth of technicolour egg salad.




We had neighbours down the road, Mary Blaszieko and her daughters-in-law Betty and May who made the most beautiful pysanky and the most delicious Babka. That bread became one of my favourite Easter memories, even though it was someone else's family tradition. I tried making it a few years ago. Maybe I'll try again this weekend.



clicking either of those pictures will take you to the websites where I found them. Plenty of eye cany, even if you can't understand the words.

2 comments:

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

We did the "church" easter as kids - but not now. We still do easter but it is more spring celebration - our whole family is of the same persuasion. We love the easter bunny, chocolate bunnies - hollow or solid - coloring eggs, technicolor egg salad (love that phrase and I'll probably use it several times this weekend) and all the fun spring stuff that goes with it.

This year I got the grandsons some Hot Wheels and Transformer sunglasses to go in their baskets - and lots of fun springy toys. Auntie got them the candy.

Sara said...

I don't do the "church" thing - not anymore - I tend to be more "spiritual" than "religious" - so I end up doing my own thing - like celebrating the renewal of spring...