Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Borders? No thank you.

I've had some suggestion that to make the raffle quilt bigger, I should add some wide borders. I don't necessarily *want* to make it bigger, and I *know* I don't want to add some wide borders, just to make it bigger. I think I've finally figured out why I don't (usually) do borders.

I saw a picture today on Flickr of what I believed was a gorgeous pieced quilt. And truly, it was gorgeous, and it was pieced. The first picture showed the top of the bed but it was obvious the quilt went over the sides. The next picture showed the side of the bed - fourteen inched of beautiful, unpieced fabric. I liked the fabric, don't get me wrong, but it just felt as though the wide unpieced border did a huge disservice to all the effort that had gone into the top. Sure, it's the side of the bed - heck, it might even go down the wall and no one will ever see it, but in almost every case, a border that's just fabric, to me, looks like a cop out. I've looked on the web for a shareable photo but decided against it - this is just my opinion. You know what I'm talking about without me critiquing someone's hard work. It was just a wee spark of epiphany on this cold morning and I thought I'd share.

It's still stupid cold out - it's up to 9ยบ now even with brilliant sunshine. I've vacuumed and run the dishwasher, I've done two loads of laundry and changed the sheets. Maybe I'll get Jill's quilt layered and quilted today. Hmmm I wonder if I have any spray baste?

1 comment:

Sheri said...

LOL Borders are just that for me a cope out. I don't like borders but occasionally put them on a quilt. Sometimes because I've come up short on the block fabric but more often I'm sick of working on this quilt and it's a short cut to finish.