Thursday, November 02, 2017

Wabi sabi

Yesterday's picture, of this mug, is my mantra at the moment.  Can a picture be a mantra?  

From Wikipedia: 
Wabi-sabi () is a world view centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection.


My mug is imperfect.  It was imperfect when I got it; it is handmade by I know not whom.  I paid a dime at the thrift store and I loved it was soon as I saw it.  Whoever created it had spilled a drop of blue glaze inside, "spoiling" the tan speckled interior.  Or enhancing it.  It became even more imperfect shortly after I started using it - the handle fell off!  But despite its flaws, despite its shortcomings, I still love its honesty.  I love the color, and the shape, and the way it looks with my coffee in it.  I love that someone spent time to create this with their hands.  Like the other voices I hear, this mug speaks to me.  Broken is not useless.  Damaged is not destroyed.  

No comments: