Saturday, March 03, 2018

Boom. <- the sound of me blowing up my life.

So I quit my job.  Not really, but yeah, really.  I spent a little time Sunday composing a "hey I'm looking for a job" email, loading the 'to' field with various movers and shakers (or as close to movers and shakers as I have in my life) and then saved the draft.  This:

Are you looking for the right person to fill a position in your organization? Someone who works well independently or with others, who has an excellent memory and stellar organizational skills? Someone with managerial experience who doesn’t hesitate to take on the most menial tasks? Someone who understands the value of the smallest detail?

After almost three years in my current position as manager of KB Cafe in Vergennes, it is time for me to look for another outlet for my skills. While I wish the new owner Yvonne Brown nothing but success, I feel that we both need a fresh start. Building the cafe into the welcoming coffee shop it has become feels too personal, and in order for it to become the business Yvonne wants, KB Cafe needs to move in a new direction. That will happen better without me.

I am reaching out to you because I believe that I can best find my new place within the network of people I know, of people who know me. My availability is relatively immediate, although I feel I must honor a commitment I have to the local school district to prepare and deliver after-school meals daily (15 hours per week until the end of the school year.)

If you would like to speak further, I would love to meet. Although my weekdays are jam-packed, evenings or weekends work; my contact info is below. As a courtesy to my current employer, I will not be answering calls or emails between 7:30 am and 1:30 pm for the time being, but I will get back to anyone who leaves a message. And I ask, please, if you don’t have the job I’m seeking, could you forward this to anyone who might?  Thank you!
 

Monday, after a weekend of "we really need to talk" (apparently I hurt some feelings, again) I did 2 things.  I hit 'SEND' and then I told Yvonne I was going to have to find a new job.  I truly wish her well.  She seems a shrewd enough entrepreneur to have made herself a comfortable life.  And I hope the cafe makes her happy.  It's no longer doing that for me.

Onward.

No comments: