Thursday, February 26, 2009

Lent-ish

My non-religiousness is not in question. I am a non-believer. Period. But darn it, some of these religious things are just so darn fun, or not fun but good, you know? So once again, I'm borrowing, and tailoring to my own purpose.

Not all of Christianity observes the 40 days that precede Easter, the period of Lent. (Those 40 days don't include Sundays, in case you're counting.) Many celebrate Mardi Gras without really realizing the point of the whole thing beyond cheap bead and naked boobies. That is SO not it.

Mardi Gras, or Fat Tuesday is the final day before the period of penance, atonement, self sacrifice that is Lent begins. It's "gras," or "fat," because it was customary to use up all the butter and eggs and milk since Lent involves (for many) fasting. Forty days of it. Many of the faithful now choose rather to give up something they hold dear - television, chocolate, coffee, cigarettes, sex. Whatever, it's all over when the chocolate bunny shows up. Wikipedia actually has a pretty decent what's what if you're so inclined.

Like I said, I'm not religious, but I'm borrowing this. I'm not fasting, I'm not giving up chocolate or red meat or coffee, but I'm taking the next 40ish days to give up a bad habit. I snack. A lot. Today I did not snack, not once. Was I tempted? Of course! But like the observant Christian who ponders his Lord's sacrifice every time he denies himself a Snickers, I'm contemplating the trashing I've perpetuated on my body every time I resist a handful of M&Ms or a mid-morning cookie or two. Can I have a cupcake? Sure, with dinner. Chocolate? Coffee? Candy? PopTarts? Yes, as long as they are eaten in the context of a meal.

I did this with coffee a few years ago, and candy another year. If nothing else, this intentional denial causes me to be more aware. Making tea instead of mindlessly pouring a cup of coffee gave me an opportunity to examine my place in my life. Same kinda sorta with the candy. The snacking's going to be a challenge, but I think I'm up for it. It takes 21 days to create or break a habit. I've got 46. One down, 45 to go.

5 comments:

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Good luck - I'm a snacker too. Great post!!!

Warty Mammal said...

Meh. Take or borrow the traditions you want to, without guilt. I'm not sure we can even tell where some of the "pure" traditions began. Goodness knows the Romans had no compunction about "borrowing" what they wanted, then overlaying it with the names of Roman rulers or gods.

Sometimes there are universal human truths or psychology involved in these traditions. I think it's worth considering their value, even if one doesn't buy into all of the dogma espoused by associated religious organizations.

Sara said...

Good luck...I think if I did that I would find out how much I really snack...Scary!

Anonymous said...

I wanna be Jewish. All their holidays seem to be feasting. And they happen to be times when I need a day off!

Wilma Lee said...

You are a stronger woman than I!!! Good luck.