Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Signs point to yes

New Years Revolution update:

I overheard a conversation the other day between two people who are working toward a common goal. They need to end up at the same place, though his and her attitudes toward achieving that end vary greatly. She sees absolute merit despite the challenges, he sees challenges despite the merit. Three right turns or three left turns, you end up in the same place, but the view getting there can be completely different; you can enjoy the slow drive or curse the speedbumps.

I've had that same conversation. Shoot, I've had that same conversation with myself!

A little over a month ago, I spent a good bit of time trying to find the word for this year. I knew the ideal I was going for, acceptance without compromise, but couldn't find the word. It did come, though, and I started to get myself familiar with the concept. Comity, my New Years Revolution got firmly entrenched in my thought processes; figure out a way to get past the contrary. Find a common ground. Make it work. This week, I had my eyes opened by a man whose absolute refusal to compromise his principles has earned him the anger of many, and the admiration of many more. He demonstrated comity in action. "This is territory I'm unfamiliar with, and that makes me uncomfortable. But I'm no longer interested in being part of the problem. I choose to be part of the solution."

I'm finding it harder than I thought.

**ETA - to straighten out a little confusion. This is NOT a political post, and the "he" I referred to has never been elected to the presidency of anything, as far as I know. If Mr. Obama spoke those words, yeah! But that wasn't whose mouth I heard them come from.

1 comment:

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Good for you - and a great post. I think we all could use a bit more of comity in our lives - I know I could - at it must start with me. my word for this year is simplify - and what better way to simplify than to practive comity - it gives us (me) a great place to start in several situations I can think of.