Saturday, March 07, 2009

And now

So I finished the applique on the pinwheel quilt, the top is done. I have batting (bamboo) and backing (a pretty light blue floral from my stash.) I need some more spray baste before I assemble this, and I need some courage to quilt it. It's not as big as I imagined, I've quilted this large before, but I just don't know HOW. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to run up the vine and leaves with dark green, and scribble a swirl on the flowers. But the majority of the quilt has me troubled. Meander? It'll be fast, and echo the sentiment of the vines. Ditch quilt the pinwheels, avoiding the applique? Then what do I do in the border areas that aren't appliqued? Continue the pattern, just avoiding the applique?

My thought is that what I'll do is sit down at the machine with the quilt basted, get it under the needle and just do it. I don't have time to send it out and leave the decision to a professional. Argh! I hate this part!

3 comments:

Vicky aka Stichr said...

shoot...the ether ate me comment....

try diagonal stitching in the pinwheels,
///// \\\\ instead of ||||

then follow the stems and continue that curve in the borders.

Sheri said...

I like the meander idea.

Dorothy said...

Vicky - huh? I don't get it. Sorry. DO you mean stitching differently? Or following a diagonal line? I can't picture what you mean, but wish I could.